storefront improvement Program
Fourth Plain Forward, in partnership with Evergreen Habitat for Humanity, has secured funding to provide a facade improvement program for businesses along Fourth Plain. The purpose of the Fourth Plain Commercial Facade Improvement Grant Program is to enhance and revitalize the aesthetics of Vancouver’s “International District” by providing a financial incentive for businesses to invest in their property.
The Program aims to address deteriorating property conditions, unclear or unprofessional signage, and encourage enhancements to the property as viewed from the public right of way as a means to generate economic development along the Fourth Plain Corridor. Program participants are eligible to be granted up to 75% of their eligible costs for a facade improvement project. The level of grant funding will be determined on a case-by-case basis, driven by contractor assessed need and the business owner’s desired project scope.
- Program funds will be used to provide a matching grant for exterior painting or new signage. The work is to be completed either by the business owner, volunteers or a qualified contractor.
- The grant funds will also cover any incidental costs associated with the completion of a corridor commercial property condition survey led by our partner, Evergreen Habitat for Humanity.
- Fourth Plain Forward expects to work with up to five businesses in the first program year (2019).
- Fourth Plain Forward can act as an intermediary for business owners and contractors.
- Businesses will provide a 25% match of the grant amount, up to $2,500 and that money will be spent first and act as a deposit.
- Fourth Plain Forward will pay invoices for the remaining 75% of the work cost once the project is completed and any necessary inspections finalized.
- Total expenditures for each project are not to exceed $10,000. Fourth Plain Forward is prepared to invest anywhere from $450 to $7,500 per project, as funds allow.